As part of Vanderbilt Medical Center, the GI Clinical Research Enterprise has access to cutting-edge technologies and laboratories. Our specialized centers ensure that every condition is given expert care and consideration by our team of top medical professionals and researchers. The Vanderbilt Digestive Disease Research Center is one of only 16 digestive research centers supported by the National Institute of Health.
Interventional Endoscopy Center
Our Interventional Endoscopy Center offers a wide range of procedures, including:
- Capsule Endoscopy
- Endoscopic Retrograd Cholangiopanceatography (ERCP)
- Endoscopic Ultrasound (EUS)
- Endoluminal stent placement
- Endoscopic mucosal resection (EMR)
- Esophagogastroduodenoscopy (EGD)
- Flexible Sigmoidoscopy
- PEG Placement - Percutaneous Endoscopic Gastrostromy
- Radiofrequency ablation (RFA)
- Small bowel upper and lower enteroscopy
- Upper endoscopy
Swallowing and Esophageal Disorders Center
Our Swallowing and Esophageal Disorders Center offers a multidisciplinary approach for patient care. Our team includes gastroenterologists, radiologists, pulmonary and ENT physicians, voice specialists, speech therapists, and general and thoracic surgeons. Some of the state-of-the-art treatments and technologies used include:
- Anorectal Manometry
- Bravo/Wireless pH Monitoring
- Esophageal motility study - EMOT
- Esophageal Motility and Impedance pH Study
- High Resolution Monometry (HRM)
- Impedance/pH Study
Center for Human Nutrition
The specialized care team in Vanderbilt's Center for Human Nutrition includes nutrition specialists, registered dietitians, pharmacists, and researchers in nutritional health.
This center features a nutrition support program, malnutrition clinic, and celiac disease clinic.
Some of the services offered by the Center for Human Nutrition include:
- IV feeding support
- Medical treatments for malnutrition
- Nutrition counseling
- Nutrition evaluation and diagnosis
- Placement of central venous access devices or peripherally inserted cental catheters
- Placement of feeding tubes
Our laboratories are fully accredited and licensed through CLIA, CAP, and the State of Tennessee.
Our researchers have experience working with central laboratories and collecting and shipping the samples on the same day to the central lab.
Vanderbilt's laboratories are equipped with:
- Refrigerated centrifuge
- -20 freezer (Celsius)
- -80 Freezer (Celsius)
- Access to dry ice
- Locked cabinets and rooms for Investigational Products with restricted access
- Phlebotomy area
In addition, our labs and researchers have experience in pharmacokinetic (PK) sample collection and preparation and have the ability to perform tuberculin skin tests or QuantiFERON-TB Gold tests for TB screening
Drug Preparation and Administration
We have experience with clinical trials requiring an unblinded pharmacist for drug preparation and to prepare an IV infusion and subcutaneous injection drug.
Our facilities and staff are equipped to administer IV medication.
Locked cabinets and rooms with restricted access are available for Investigational Products.
Our Medical records are electronic based.
Monitors have on-site access to our medical records on a computer. Password and training are provided.
Our site has the ability to perform chest radiology and ECG
Vanderbilt GI Clinical Trials