International Scholars Exchange Program
It is the mission of the International Cardiovascular Scholars Exchange Program to advance the knowledge and practice of cardiovascular medicine worldwide by supporting exchange between Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Vanderbilt Heart and Vascular Institute, Clinical and Research institutions throughout the world.
The International Scholars Exchange program is sponsored by the Vanderbilt Division of Cardiovascular Medicine and the Vanderbilt Heart and Vascular Institute. Our faculty are recognized nationally and internationally for their work in basic cardiology, clinical, and translational investigations. Our Advisory and Selection Boequires a minimum of (6) months to complete the application process for acceptance in the program.
Director, Elias V. Haddad, MD, FACC
Faculty and fellows from Vanderbilt University Medical Center (VUMC) travel to institutions outside the USA to learn from and teach other cardiology faculty and trainees. Similarly, trainees and faculty in institutions outside the USA travel to Nashville, and spend dedicated time observing clinical cardiology training at VUMC.
International Community-Based Preventive Cardiology
Cardiology trainees from VUMC travel abroad and participate in organized programs in developing countries as a component of their training in CV Medicine in conjunction with a MPH degree.
Training in Cardiovascular Medicine
Select trainees from outside the USA Institutions are supported by their home institutions complete Cardiovascular Medicine training at VUMC, after which they return to practice in their country.
Select trainees or faculty from outside the USA Institutions join established research programs for extended periods for research training.
Requirements to Participate
The application process requires a minimum of six (6) months to complete. If you application is approved, you will be eligible to participate in our program on the next available start date(s): January 3rd; April 1st; July 1st; and October 1st. You will be informed of your exact start date if your application is approved and all required documents are submitted on time.
To qualify to participate in this program, you must:
- be able to speak English in a professional setting:
- have acceptable preparation, training and experience for your proposed position in our program and either be currently enrolled as an active member in a training program OR employed at a clinical or research institution;
- have salary and travel support and health insurance coverage for you and your dependents from your home institution;
- be responsible for arranging your travel including any regulatory documents required for international travel;
- complete an interview with the International Scholars Exchange director and/or one of the Advisory and Selection Board members.
Your completed application must include:
- Current: Curriculum Vitae
- Passport with picture
- Professional digital Photo of yourself;
- Letter of Recommendation from your home institution that can support your qualifications and training goals for the program;
- Financial Support Letter from an appropriate authority figure at your home institution documenting financial support for your travel and living expenses while in the United States (Vanderbilt personnel will have no involvement in arranging your support from any non-profit foundation or organization); documentation stating that upon your return to your home country, you will resume your position at your current institution;
- Documentation of Health Insurance coverage for you and your dependents by your home institution;
- Documentation of Vaccination and/or Immunity to specified infectious diseases in compliance with Vanderbilt policies (your presence in patient care areas will not be authorized without this documentation);
If your application is accepted and you are invited to participate in our program,
- you and Vanderbilt Heart and Vascular Institute must have clearly defined training goals;
- you must be open to appropriate medical and scientific communities.
Upon submitting your application, you agree that you have read and understand the requirements to participate in the International Cardiovascular Scholars Exchange Program and agree to comply with the requirements to participate.
Advisory and Selection Board Members:
David A. Slosky, M.D.
Lisa A. Mendes, M.D.
Doug Heimburger, M.D.
Julie B. Damp, M.D.
Elias V. Haddad, M.D.
Thomas J. Wang, M.D.