As academic medicine continues to evolve, so too have the expectations and demands on faculty’s time and talent. The Department of Medicine is committed to helping all faculty, regardless of track or division, fulfill their academic potential by creating a more systematic, organized and robust mentorship program. Mentorship remains critical to the success of our faculty, and is a fundamental component of faculty development.
The mission of the Mentorship Council is:
- To oversee the mentoring process and programs for all faculty, including advanced practice providers, within the Department of Medicine
- To review and develop policies and procedures for mentorship within the department
- To meet and collaborate with representatives from the professional development societies that represent the various tracks within the department
- To identify barriers and challenges to faculty mentorship, and to develop, propose and monitor programs designed to address these obstacles
- To provide routine progress reports to the department and division chairs
- To work with the Committee on Appointments and Promotions (COAP) to improve the advancement process