Tinsley Randolph Harrison Society
Named for the great teacher and clinical researcher, Tinsley Harrison, M.D. — who came to Vanderbilt in 1925 as the first chief resident in Medicine — the Tinsley Harrison Society is dedicated to the preservation of science in clinical medicine and to the scientific literacy of physicians who use this knowledge at the bedside, promoting medical research relevant to internal medicine as a career discipline. By the time he left Vanderbilt in 1941, Dr. Harrison had made a tremendous impact on clinical investigation that directly effected improvements in patient care.
The Society benefits and aids the education, research, and patient care missions of its members by holding forums and meetings and publishing appropriate educational materials approved by its members. The Society also supports new initiatives in education, biomedical research, and patient care for the benefit of physicians who practice internal medicine.
Residents and fellows in this Physician-Scientist Training Program become lifetime members of the Tinsley Randolph Harrison Society. In addition, trainees in this select group are designated as ‘Harrison Society Scholars’ and become eligible for salary supplements during their research training years and an academic-enhancement allowance during their clinical training years.