Thomas Horton, MD
VA Outpatient/Ambulatory Chief
VUMC Resident Voices
"Not only is Vanderbilt a great place to work and train during residency but Nashville is a fantastic place to live! We believe life outside the hospital is just as important in becoming a well-rounded and socially conscious physician.
From the varying greenways/hiking trails, music venues, restaurants and sports events, there is truly no shortage of fun things to do in the area.
We look forward to welcoming you to our city and hope you enjoy it as much as we do!"
Nashville recommendations from Chief Residents
- Musicians Corner – Spring/Summer Friday and Saturday free concert series at Centennial Park (1 mile away from Vanderbilt)
- Bluebird Café – Small venue in Green Hills where songwriters showcase their talent! (This is where Taylor Swift was discovered).
- Grand Ole Opry – Weekly radio show with live performances (a must at some point)
- Ryman Auditorium – Multiple concerts each week!
- Ascend Amphitheater – New open air concert venue.
- Nashville Symphony – From classical to modern to kid friendly, always something new
- Station Inn – If you want good bluegrass, this is the place.
- Listening Room - Small venue to listen to singer-songwriters over dinner and drinks
- Pretty much every single bar/restaurant in Nashville! Look for the “Live Music Venue” Logo!
What to do?
- Nashville Zoo at Grassmere - Great place to get a membership if you have kids!
- Radnor Lake State Park – 6 miles of trails across 1,300 acres, perfect for wildlife observation
- Nashville Public Library – An amazing number of family-oriented activities for all ages!
- Cheekwood Botanical Garden – 55 acre botanical garden with four seasonal festivals
- Percy Warner and Edwin Warner Park – >3,000 acres of land riddled with trails ready to explore!
- Centennial Park – Explore the only life-sized replica of the Parthenon!
- McCabe Golf Course – Sylvan Park – One of many public golf courses in the Nashville area
- Frist Art Museum – Explore the Nashville art scene starting at the Frist Art Museum.
- Nashville Farmer’s Market
- Rock ‘n’ Roll marathon and half-marathon – Held yearly in the spring! Cheer on your fellow residents as they run through music city.
- Natchez Trace Parkway - historic roadway for a scenic drive or biking
- Nashvilleguru.com – Great as a general reference!
- Work Life Balance - weekly email subscription with events in Nashville
- Nashville Predators (NHL)
- Tennessee Titans (NFL)
- Nashville Soccer Club (MLS)
- Nashville Sounds (AAA baseball)