Thomas Cassini, MD
Vanderbilt is a fantastic place to work for residency, and outside of work,Nashville is an exciting place to live. It is important during a busy residency to take time for family, friends, and yourself. Nashville has a lot to offer to help you make the most of that. If you love music, the famous Bluebird Cafe is a must. For larger concerts there are always great performers coming to Ascend Amphitheater or the Ryman Auditorium. While Nashville lives up to its name as the music city, you will find there is so much more here.
If you’re a sports fan, a Sounds game is a great way to relax in the summertime and the Predators will keep it exciting through the winter.If watching sports isn’t quite your thing, but you enjoy fitness, Climb Nashville is a great way to spend a Saturday. Nashville also offers free yoga periodically at bicentennial capitol mall state park various yoga studios throughout the city. Nashville has a number of restaurants and bars with a trivia night which is a great way to take your mind off of the normal routine and learn something outside of medicine for a change. When you need a break from cafeteria food, the Nashville Farmers’ Market hosts a night market with shopping, restaurants, and live music. Radnor Lake or Arrington Vineyards make great day trips to spend as much time outdoors as you can with your time off. We know that you would enjoy your training here at Vanderbilt, but just as importantly, we know you would enjoy your time in the city of Nashville.
- Musicians Corner – Spring/Summer Friday and Saturday free concert series at Centennial Park (1 mile away from Vanderbilt)
- Bluebird Café – Small venue in Green Hills where songwriters showcase their talent! (This is where Taylor Swift was discovered).
- Grand Ole Opry – Weekly radio show with live performances (a must at some point)
- Ryman Auditorium – Multiple concerts each week!
- Ascend Amphitheater – New open air concert venue.
- Nashville Symphony – From classical to modern to kid friendly, always something new
- Station Inn – If you want good bluegrass, this is the place.
- Pretty much every single bar/restaurant in Nashville! Look for the “Live Music Venue” Logo!
What to do?
- Nashville Zoo at Grassmere - Great place to get a membership if you have kids!
- Radnor Lake State Park – 6 miles of trails across 1,300 acres, perfect for wildlife observation
- Nashville Public Library – An amazing number of family oriented activities for all ages!
- Cheekwood Botanical Garden – 55 acre botanical garden with four seasonal festivals
- Percy Warner and Edwin Warner Park – >3,000 acres of land riddled with trails ready to explore!
- Centennial Park – Explore the only life sized replica of the Parthenon!
- McCabe Golf Course – Sylvan Park – One of many public golf courses in the Nashville area
- Frist Art Museum – Explore the Nashville art scene starting at the Frist Art Museum.
- Nashville Farmer’s Market
- Rock ‘n’ Roll marathon and half-marathon – Held yearly in the spring! Cheer on your fellow residents as they run through music city.
- Nashvilleguru.com – Great as a general reference!
- Eater Nashville’s website with the most up to date and must-visit restaurants in Nashville