Vanderbilt is a fantastic place to work and train during residency, and outside of the hospital, Nashville awaits! While Vanderbilt residents work hard, we are also a program that supports a healthy work life balance. The city of Nashville is the perfect setting to take time for family, friends and yourself.
Nashville is known as the “Music City” and does not disappoint. While the bars, especially on Broadway, are always a great place to hear (and sing) country music, Nashville’s larger venues like the Ascend Amphitheatre and the historic Ryman Auditorium are great locations to hear concerts of any genre. Concert series such as Full Moon Pickin’ Parties, $2 Tuesdays at the 5 Spot, Live on the Green, Whiskey Jam or more intimate shows like Lockland Strings in East Nashville are annual, unique opportunities to see local bands and hear great music.
For the sports fans, Nashville is now home not only to the Titans (NFL), Predators (NHL), and Sounds (MiLB) but also to our newest team, the Nashville Soccer Club (MLS)! Vanderbilt Medicine residents can tail-gate through the fall at Nissan Stadium, spend the winter rooting on the Preds (and dodge the occasional catfish), chant along in the Supporters Section in the spring with Nashville SC fans, and spend the summer watching minor league baseball in Germantown.
For those who enjoy the outdoors, Percy Warner Park and Shelby Park offer excellent trails for residents and their pups, and there are many greenways throughout the city for running and biking. In the summer, residents have been seen renting pontoon boats and spending time on Percy Priest Lake. The Nashville Farmer’s Market offers restaurants, music, the famous Jeni’s Ice Cream, and shopping from local businesses.
Other popular activities with residents include spending time on the walls at Climb Nashville, laying out in the shade of the Parthenon replica at Centennial Park, tasting local brews at Fat Bottom Brewery and Bearded Iris, free yoga at Bicentennial Capitol Mall Park, trivia nights at local restaurants, playing arcade games and bowling at Pins Mechanical, and (of course) Hot Chicken prior to karaoke nights at the famous Santa’s Pub.
We are confident that you will enjoy your training here at Vanderbilt; and as importantly, we know you will enjoy your time in the city of Nashville!
- Musicians Corner – Spring/Summer Friday and Saturday free concert series at Centennial Park (1 mile away from Vanderbilt)
- Bluebird Café – Small venue in Green Hills where songwriters showcase their talent! (This is where Taylor Swift was discovered).
- Grand Ole Opry – Weekly radio show with live performances (a must at some point)
- Ryman Auditorium – Multiple concerts each week!
- Ascend Amphitheater – New open air concert venue.
- Nashville Symphony – From classical to modern to kid friendly, always something new
- Station Inn – If you want good bluegrass, this is the place.
- Listening Room - Small venue to listen to singer-songwriters over dinner and drinks
- Pretty much every single bar/restaurant in Nashville! Look for the “Live Music Venue” Logo!
What to do?
- Nashville Zoo at Grassmere - Great place to get a membership if you have kids!
- Radnor Lake State Park – 6 miles of trails across 1,300 acres, perfect for wildlife observation
- Nashville Public Library – An amazing number of family-oriented activities for all ages!
- Cheekwood Botanical Garden – 55 acre botanical garden with four seasonal festivals
- Percy Warner and Edwin Warner Park – >3,000 acres of land riddled with trails ready to explore!
- Centennial Park – Explore the only life-sized replica of the Parthenon!
- McCabe Golf Course – Sylvan Park – One of many public golf courses in the Nashville area
- Frist Art Museum – Explore the Nashville art scene starting at the Frist Art Museum.
- Nashville Farmer’s Market
- Rock ‘n’ Roll marathon and half-marathon – Held yearly in the spring! Cheer on your fellow residents as they run through music city.
- Natchez Trace Parkway - historic roadway for a scenic drive or biking
- Nashvilleguru.com – Great as a general reference!
- Work Life Balance - weekly email subscription with events in Nashville
- Eater Nashville’s website with the most up to date and must-visit restaurants in Nashville
- Nashville Guru website with happy hours and restaurants organized by category and neighborhood